A client recently wrote me about his trip to London and specifically the time he spent inside one of London’s libraries studying the Vincent Van Gogh exhibit and the letters he wrote to his brother. Van Gogh produced over 2,100 pieces of work during his roughly decade long career. His art is still admired by me and many others. He wasn’t bad a life coach either. Here’s the summary of Van Gogh coaching up his brother back in the day.
1. One must work and dare, if they ever want to live. (BTL core and opus. Use them)
2. I know what I want to create, and am utterly indifferent to the criticism. (Strong core, clear opus, no noise)
3. I am always doing what I cannot do, so I can learn how to do it. (Do hard things well. Start by doing hard things poorly)
4. I will always be myself, are care relatively little if others approve. (Strong core. Good)
5. Normality is an easy paved road, but few flowers grow on it. (Be weird. Be you.)
6. I am seeking. I am striving. I am in it with all my heart. (Hard opus you sustain as you tire)
7. I would rather die of passion than boredom. (3PP – Passion, Purpose, Process)
8. Your profession in not what brings you a pay check. Your profession is what you were put on this earth to do, with such passion and intensity that it becomes a spiritual thing. (Opus calls you to itself, pulls you in, and cannot be ignored)
9. I think the best way to knowing God is by loving many things. Love this friend, that person, this thing, whatever you like, and you will be on the path to knowing God. (I love to_____)
10. The fisherman knows the sea is dangerous, and the storms are terrible, but doesn’t see these dangers as reason to remain on shore. (More love than fear = courage. Strong core keeps us even keeled/poised under pressure) Freankin’ magic!
Van Gogh burned out bright. He was not here for long but what an impact. He lived 37 years. Jesus 33. MLK 39. JFK 46. Lincoln 56. Marcus Aurelius 58. Booker T. Washington 59. Jane Austen 41. Teeks 11. It’s not the years we live, friend, but the life in our years. We are made in love so it only makes sense we are meant to live lives fueled by love, aimed at our labors of love, and alongside a few other love cats. Remember, the essence of BTL is love. The BTL leader bathes in love. She loves her work and her teams. Her love is contagious and worth catching. Do not go quietly or slowly, please, leave that to candles. You and I are meant to burn out bright. So, might I suggest you get busy on your own version of Starry Night. Love. Good.
Live hard. Love harder (Thanks, Teeks)…